The Pathway to Practical Nursing Program
City Adult Learning Centre, Yorkdale Adult Learning Centre and George Brown College have developed a collaborative Pathway to Practical Nursing program. Following successful completion of the program at CALC, students will be eligible to enter semester 1 of the Practical Nursing program at GBC with advanced standing in four elective courses and a sound academic foundation in the health sciences. After completion of four semesters at GBC, graduates will write the Registered Practical Nursing Examination. If successful, students will be granted a certificate of registration by the College of Nurses of Ontario and be eligible to practice as registered practical nurses in the Province of Ontario.
The program meets new entry-to-practice requirements adopted by the College of Nurses of Ontario and confers on the graduate a Practical Nursing Diploma from George Brown College.
The Pathway to Practical Nursing semester of the collaborative Toronto District School Board/George Brown College PN diploma program may be taken at CALC or Yorkdale. Students choosing to take this semester at CALC or Yorkdale and pass all of the courses may move directly to semester 1 at George Brown College without having to apply to the program. Approximately 25 places will be reserved in the semester 1 intake for CALC and Yorkdale students. In addition, advanced standing will be granted for four elective courses, resulting in a lighter workload in semesters 1 and 2. You will also have the opportunity to earn secondary school diploma credits while completing the Pathway Program.
How Do I Apply For The Program?
• Attend an information session
• Complete the application form
• Write the Pre-Admission Tests in English
• Submit Ontario transcripts indicating completion of or registration in the prerequisite courses see below)
What are the Admission Requirements?
• English Grade 12, College Or University (min 70%)
• Biology Grade 11 or 12, College or University (min 70%)
• Chemistry Grade 11 University or Grade 12 College or University (min 60%)
• Mathematics Grade 11 M (College / University) or Grade 12 College or University (min 60%)
• Testing in English
• For candidates under 21 years old - Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent
Where Can I Take The Pre-requisite Courses?
• English, Math and Science pre-requisites are available at the City Adult Learning Centre
• Students may enrol in courses in September, November, February or April
How Long Is The Practical Nursing Diploma Program
The two-year program at George Brown College is 4 semesters in length. The pathway semester is taken at the City Adult Learning Centre and Yorkdale Adult Learning Centre. Students, upon successful completion of this semester, students will be granted advanced standing at George Brown College for four elective courses and will complete semesters 1 to 4 at George Brown College. The first 3 semesters of this program are 14 weeks in length. The fourth semester is 21 weeks long and includes a pre-graduate experience under the guidance of a preceptor.
How Much Does The Program Cost?
• Students are required to purchase one textbook
• The approximate cost is $750, including ancillary costs necessary to enter semester 1 at GBC
How do I register?
Click here to begin your registration in the Pathway to Practical Nursing Program.